General Discussion
     Yamipod 1.6 and AVG antivirus problem
Register To Post
Poster Thread
kvasir
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2007/9/18 23:06

Yamipod 1.6 and AVG antivirus problem
My problem: Yamipod 1.6 is now being reported by AVG antivirus FREE edition as being a trojan: Trojan horse PSW.OnlineGames.KJP

I have never had problems with AVG and yamipod, so I believe this is a false positive at the fault of AVG. Because of the "threat detected!" it will not allow me to open and use yamipod at all - click on heal and it deletes yamipod - click on ignore and it will not let me use yamipod. The only way I have been able to work with it so far has been to disable my AVG to allow me to work with yamipod when I want to (slight pain). Does anybody have any suggestions or have encountered the same problem?

Note 1: Just tried another ipod manager to see what would occur (floola): exact same problem.

Note 2: AVG FREE edition will not allow users to set exclusions.
Aubrey
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2007/9/19 17:02

Re: Yamipod 1.6 and AVG antivirus problem
I am having the same problem. Watching this thread.
Posted on: 2007/9/19 17:32

It must be the latest update of AVG - it's doing the same to me with v1.6 from today, although it's not reporting v1.3 as being infected (I have both installed).

Also keeping an eye out...

;)
Posted on: 2007/9/19 19:19

Definitely a false positive.
Really annoys me.

We'll wait until a new AVG update comes out.
Posted on: 2007/9/20 2:39

Hey Kvasir, sorry for the dummy question, but how do you disable AVG to let Yamipod work?
I tried to simply close the Control Centre from the system tray but still Windows tells me I haven't the needed authorization to open the file!
And, as much as I prefer Yamipod, does anyone know if there's any other IPod manager currently working with the latest versions of AVG and ITunes?
I've had problems with other free antivirus programs like AVFree and Avast and I'd like to keep on using AVG...
Still, hope the problem with YamiPod gets solved soon.
BTW never understood why I'm authorized to transfer a purchased song to four other computers but ITunes doesn't allow me to do that! Not to mention songs which are DRM-free and legal!
Posted on: 2007/9/20 12:36

All,

I just got the latest AVG update, and it does not appear to be reporting v1.6 as a Trojan. I've just checked that it works and it appears to be fine, either run from C or from the iPod.

;)
CapnBeaky
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2007/9/20 14:10

I have the full version (Antivirus and anti-spyware), and I just received the same warning yesterday.

Just checked again this morning after an update, and the problem has gone...

Just about to re-install Yamipod now!
kvasir
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2007/9/26 0:05

I'm glad AVG fixed the false positive (i believe they have anyways, as I am now using "Avast!" antivirus because that was the only way I could continue using Yamipod during this false positive period).

To answer the question about letting yamipod work with AVG if this happens again - if it is the free edition, there is no way I know of to exclude it from detection, that's only available in the full paid version (as far as i know).

If you want to disable AVG to use yamipod (if again this occurs), you can disable it, as that was the first thing I did, but didn't like having my system unprotected. I forgot exactly where it is, but it is the screen with all the small green checkmarks on it, you have to disable one of the checkmarks to disable AVG entirely (sorry, has been a week or so and i don't use AVG anymore - easily findable on the internet though).

Register To Post