COMMUNITY

Back to Forum Index
   General Discussion
     Adding file without drag&drop
Register To Post
Poster Thread
Posted on: 2007/2/8 22:03

Adding file without drag&drop
Ok, I feel a bit stupid asking this, but there's a way to add songs to ipod *without* using Drag&Drop?

Drag&drop is nice, but usually it is a shortcut to a common "add something" command you can find in top or context menu, every appz has something similar as implicit usability rule.

I'm using the linux version and don't use any file explorer/manager to browse my disk content, just terminal, so, Yamipod is pretty nice... but quite useless since I cannot add nothing to my ipod.
I can install a graphical file manager just for yamipod or using only the "syncronize" tool, but seems absurd to me.
I know probably there's 0.1% of users with my problem, but it's simply a must-have option for any application, also for ones using touchpad as mouse, Drag&drop is a nightmare on these.
There's nothing to code for this "feature", just adding a voice in some menu... I will do it by myself having the source...
bye
mag
gorgatron
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2007/2/13 9:24

Re: Adding file without drag&drop
Have you tried highlighting the songs you want to add and then just simply using copy and paste? I get tired of using a mouse on my PC and that's how I always add files to iTunes. I always just copy and past them into a new playlist to add them in order to save steps. That's the only thing I can think of and many of these music filing programs have the feature. Please let me know if that works, if you happen to remember. Hope that helps.
Posted on: 2007/2/19 20:54

thanks gorgatron, but I can't use your tip in my os environment.
As I said I don't have any "files browser" (like nautilus, konqueror, Thunar,ecc) so I can't copy&paste nothing.
I simply use a terminal window, I usually avoid mouse at all (you know "ls" to list files, "cp" to copy them,etc...)
I can try by using copy&paste from some music player... but then I have to load 2 programs to simply add something to my ipod.
How someone can post a feature request for Yamipod?
What I want is simply a button or a menu entry like "add files..." that opens a dialog to choose files/directories to add.
f.e. gtkpod s*cks (it usually fails while syncing), but it has such a button.
byz
gorgatron
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2007/2/20 0:36

no problem, magillo, and sorry that i couldn't be of more help. i'm not as familiar with linyx as i'd like to be and was not aware of the fact that you don't have a "files browser," even though you mentioned it in your original post. i just didn't gather it point-blank, i guess. since you mentioned that you've seen an add button on other apps similar to YamiPod, you might want to bring this issue up in the "Development & Bug" section of the forum, if you haven't already. surely someone there could give you better assistance that what you're getting here. plus, you'd be brining this omission to the developer's attention. if you say that ther are other similar apps out there with some better features for those in your situation, as i'm sure you're not the only linyx user with this issue, it might cause a light bulb to go off in someone's head to create such a feature as you described. again, sorry that my suggestion wasn't of any use. it seems difficult to get any sort of support on this forum. you have to wait for the developer to help, which seems to take a while, since he seems to be the main person offering support in this forum. i hope that you can get this resolved soon and i would definitely repost your original post in the other section to see if you get any answers that way.
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2007/2/22 16:24

unfortunately this isn't that simple to implement. I guess this won't be added anytime soon.

----------------

Register To Post