Poster Thread
Lee
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/1/25 4:59

Error on launch [FIXED]
Windows XP SP2
4th Gen iPod 20GB
Yamipod .55

When I launched Yamipod 0.52 (with iPod connected through FireWire), it gave me the following error:

An exception of class NilObjectException was not handled. The application must shut down.

So I was never able to open it. I updated to Yamipod 0.55 and I was given the same error message.

What gives? Could it be my Windows?
Lee
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/1/25 8:51

Re: Error on launch
I got it to work. I just disconnected the iPod from my computer and reconnected it. *shrug*
Jon8RFC
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/1/25 10:01

XP Pro SP2
ipod 4th gen 20gig
YamiPod .55

I've been having the same problem since I first found out about version .50 and .55 acts the same. My ipod is set as a hard drive and I tried running iTunes and YamiPod at the same time, but got the same error from YamiPod. I've disconnected and reconnected as Lee did, without any succession. I checked task manager and ended all apple services running and that didn't help either. Any suggestions?
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2005/1/25 15:28

Hi,

can you describe better when do you get the nil error? What is the YamiPod window title saying? 'Loading xx%', 'iPod not connected'?

Tomas
Jon8RFC
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/1/26 2:08

The title bar says "YamiPod (iPod not connected)" and the nil error pops up about 1-2 seconds after the program has been open.
Jon8RFC
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/1/26 9:00

Figured it out! This is not a problem with USB 1.1 at all.

I'm guessing your code searches in sequential drive letter order from A to Z searching for the type to be "removable disk". I found that my memory card reader was causing the error. The reader is drive G and my ipod is drive H. The reader can be plugged in and causes no problems and is even visible in 'my computer', but if a memory card is inserted, then the error occurs. Both the reader and ipod are type 'removable disk'. The cd/dvd drive is different as are my hard drives and floppy. The zip drive, however, is type 'removable disk' as well and is drive E...I bet when I get my hands on a zip disk later tonight, that it too will cause YamiPod to error.

MAN, I'm so glad I got that figured out, it was driving me crazy! I have 7 usb ports filled including the ipod and I thought maybe it was an overload, but it was really the memory card itself, not the reader or any other usb peripherals.

Any chance you could write some short code to check the name of the device before attempting to access the drive? In the properties as well as device manager, the ipod shows the device name ragardless of what it's been visually renamed to. I guess it's something in the firmware because I couldn't find it in the 'ipod_control>device' folder's files. http://jon8rfc.homeip.net/other/ipod_device_name.jpg
Jon8RFC
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/1/27 5:22

Confirmed that zip disks will cause the error as well. It's a 'type: removable disk' issue.

Sorry I wasted your time yesterday :( At least I found the problem for ya though :)
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2005/1/27 6:37

Fixed in 0.56.

Thanks Jon8RFC for your help!

Tomas

Register To Post