Register now    |   Login  

COMMUNITY

Back to Forum Index
   General Discussion
     Using Yam just for last.fm (audioscrobbler)
Register To Post
Poster Thread
microUgly
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2006/8/30 15:17

Using Yam just for last.fm (audioscrobbler)
Is it safe (or possible) to use Yam only to submit play counts to last.fm and not to manage the music collection?

I will be using ml-ipod (winamp plugin) to manage my iPod and I don't understand how Yam tracks when a song needs to be submitted to last.fm since the last submission. Does it wipe playcounts on the iPod each time, or does it store info on the iPod that may conflict or confuse other iPod managers?
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2006/8/31 5:16

Re: Using Yam just for last.fm (audioscrobbler)
Every time you play a track on the iPod a file called PlayCount is updated under iPod_Control\iTunes. This file is used by iTunes to update playcount and rating settings.

This file is deleted when plugging iPod and starting iTunes (or YamiPod or ml-pod). Obviously it is deleted to avoid updating playcounts each time you start the application.

In shorts: if, after plugging iPod, you start iTunes or ml-pod before submitting songs to last.fm with YamiPod played songs will get lost.

HTH,
Tomas
microUgly
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2006/8/31 17:16

Thanks for replying.

If this file is used to update playcount settings, and YamiPod deletes it, does this mean I can't have the best of both worlds? That is, have my playcount submitted to last.fm and have the playcount settings updated?

I can obviously figure this out with some trial and error :)
microUgly
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2006/8/31 17:38

Nevermind. YamiPod doesn't like whatever ml iPod does to the iPod database so it won't start. Neither does iTunes for that matter so it's to be expected.
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2006/8/31 22:45

YamiPod updates playcounts as well.

Tomas
Posted on: 2006/9/2 23:48

How do you get it to update playcounts?

Edit: Sorry, I didn't read the documents. I still have a question or two, though. From reading, I assume that when you play on your unplugged iPod, tracks will not get scrobbled until you connect it to your computer and load YamiPod?

And, when you say "playcounts", do you mean playcounts that were on your iPod prior using YamiPod? Like suppose I had 204 plays for a song, how would I get those to be scrobbled?
microUgly
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2006/9/12 16:21

As stated above, only the tracks that have been played since your iPod was last connected to iTunes or YamiPod will be updated. If you listened to a track 204 times since the last time your iPod was connected to a PC then, I guess it will submit that many plays to last.fm.
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2006/9/12 23:05

iPod stores only last playtime of a certain played song.

If you played 200 times the same track only last playtime will be saved. Last.fm submission *requires* to send also correct playtime of track, so only last playback can correctly be submitted.

In sums it will be submitted just once.

Tomas

Posted on: 2006/11/29 12:16

I too am wanting to use YamiPod soley for it's Last.fm support. I am using a 5th generation iPod Movie and iTunes 7 without ANY firmware problems in the latest YamiPod.

However, even after setting all my information in Tools>Preferences>Last.fm box, none of my songs are showing up in the Tools>Advanced>Last.fm Pending or Sent boxes. At first I was pretty sure it was because I had synced up in iTunes before yamipod, thus destroying my plays. I played a few songs on my iPod and loaded it up in YamiPod first this time, and still not a thing.

I alread tried the iSproggler plugin with not luck, so I'd really appreciate a solution to my problem. Thanks in advance.

Register To Post