General Discussion
     feature request: database builder
Register To Post
Poster Thread
sledje
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/10/14 14:24

feature request: database builder
I love yamipod already more than itunes, great job!

Today I was looking at the ipod repair function, considering it would function as the 'ipod shuffle database builder' which builds the itunesdb according to the found mp3's. Unfortunately no such tool exists for big/mini ipod (correct me if I'm wrong). I know playlists will be lost, but with well organised ID3 tags, sorting by album would just do.. those who would use such tool aren't newbies anyway.

So I wiped all mp3, copied a few into /ipod_control/music, each into custom directories (instead of Fxx) and 'garbage' (m3u, textfiles) included. and ran the repair function. I unplugged my ipod, unfortunately found only 2 mp3 'entries' which didn't play (it just returned to the main menu). Ok, this doesn't work, but is a great step to a database builder (just copy, rebuild itunesdb and yer done).

Perhaps it might be nice to have a function (or a seperate small tool) which builds the database. I also found it moved all non-mp3 files to a seperate directory (does it harm the ipod if they're weren't moved?). Maybe my assumptions about the possibilities are wrong, like ipod not supporting custom directories (non- Fxx) at all? I just like the idea of the ipod shuffle db builder a lot.
JBlueberry
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/10/14 19:06

Re: feature request: database builder
Have you tried "Lost music"
It is very slow but it searches for music that is on the iPod but not in the database and puts it into a folder named Lost Music... I don't know if it adds it to the Libary as well!
As I said... it's slow and I don't want to spend 3 hours trying to find out
sledje
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/10/14 19:23

Do you mean 'lost music' using iTunes? Ofcourse I want to get rid of iTunes, main reason why I came to this site ;)

But just something simple as iPod shuffle Database Builder ( http://shuffle-db.sourceforge.net/ ). A complete new database.
yamipod
(Webmaster)

Posted on: 2005/10/14 21:38

Describe as best as possible how the database builder should work and also why it should work like that. I don't own a shuffle so I don't know excactly which problems are related with the use of the shuffle.

Tomas
sledje
(Just popping in)

Posted on: 2005/10/14 22:51

me neither, I own a photo 20gb.

But you just copy the mp3 files to the ipod using explorer, unchanged directory and filenames, just like this ( / = ipod root):

/mp3/cool_album/01-wow.mp3
/mp3/cool_album/02-yeah.mp3
/mp3/another_album/01-not_so_cool.mp3

Then run the database builder script / binary, which searches for mp3s (in the specified dir: ./music/) and writes the new db to iPod_Control/device/iTunes/iTunesdb . It's a python script, old versions .exe if I'm not mistaken.

Register To Post